Monday, January 3, 2011

(Not) Swimming in Singapore’s Rooftop Infinity Pool


I am crazy about swimming. Whether outdoor, indoor, sea, lake or a swimming pool, I just can not stay dry when I see water. So I was excited when I saw a picture of Singapore’s infinity pool in The Guardian’s Eyewitness (“Swimming in the sky”, 25 June 2010). What a lovely coincidence that my husband and I had already got tickets to Singapore this summer.

We stayed in a budget hotel in China Town, which was only two MRT (Mass Rapid Transport) stations away from Marina Bay, from where we walked to Marina Sands Bay hotel (http://www.marinabaysands.com/). Together with the observation deck, the infinity swimming pool is part of Sands SkyPark, a terrace on top of the three hotel towers. I took my bikini and small towel, ready to take the plunge.
We went to the ticket box in Tower 3. As we purchased the S$20 (£10) ticket per adult, the salesgirl gave us laminated terms and condition to read. Only then did I realise that my dream swimming pool is for hotel guests only. The hotel rate is S$400 (£200) per night. We looked at each other and made a quick decision, “Still worth seeing!”

The 1.2 hectare SkyPark is located on the 57th floor. We took the tour with audio guides about the building (it was designed by Israeli architect Moshe Safdie; the structure is longer than the Eiffel Tower is tall and large enough to park four-and-a-half A380s). From the observation deck, we saw part of the Formula One circuit, Sentosa Island and even Batam Island in Indonesia. It is impressive. Still, all I wanted was to swim.

We finally arrived at the swimming pool area, and my God, what a sight! Although it is actually impossible to swim the whole 150 metre length – it is divided into three parts to accommodate part submerged sun loungers and a shallower kiddie pool – I was still amazed. “This is every swimmer’s dream!” I told my husband who was snapping pictures, “Too bad I cannot swim.”
All access to the pool is guarded by security personnel with curly cabled earphones like those of the secret service’s. They all politely asked, “Are you a hotel guest?” No chance I could sneak in (we did talk about kidnapping a hotel guest, snatch the terrycloth bath rope, lock her in a cupboard somewhere then walk into the swimming pool. But we decided not to execute the plan.)

Then we saw two whirlpools that were not guarded. I took off my shoes and dipped my feet. Nice! But I wanted more. I wanted to get wet!

What I did next is not advisable, but it is not impossible and not against the regulations. I put on my bikini and confidently walked to the whirlpool. I plunged and got wet!


Back home, we cropped the picture of me in the whirlpool. There I was, swimming with Singapore City in the background. We did it! We visited world’s largest rooftop infinity pool, and I “swam”.

No comments: